SCITT is School Centred Initial Teacher Training, providing individuals with a mix of academic and hands-on training. Working with some of the best state and independent schools across England, we can provide plenty of placement options and the support of a whole group of linguists when you meet during training sessions in your geographical hub or at one of our central training locations.
What will I learn during SCITT training?
Teacher training courses are the best way to gain ‘Qualified Teacher Status’ (QTS).
The journey to becoming a qualified teacher must include:
- A minimum of 120 days in at least two schools to gain practical classroom experience.
- The study of educational theory and practice to give you the knowledge and understanding to teach successfully.
- An assessment portfolio combined with live observations.
Learning with the National Modern Languages SCITT covers all of the above and will help you to become an outstanding teacher in languages. On completion of your teacher training you will:
- Know and understand how to teach all aspects of languages.
- Be able to plan and prepare for lessons and set pupils’ learning objectives.
- Have strong classroom management skills, such as knowing how to promote good behaviour and minimise disruption.
- Know how to teach pupils with special educational needs and disabilities.
- Be able to assess pupils effectively.
The benefits of School Centred Initial Teacher Training with National Modern Languages
We are the only national teacher training course that focuses solely on modern languages teaching.
You get to focus on your subject, working with experts in the field, alongside other trainee teachers of modern languages. Choosing this route into teaching ensures:
- You are supported at every stage by experienced mentors.
- You train with other modern languages trainees.
- You are taught by experts in language teaching.
- You receive outstanding, school-based training but with full access to University facilities.
- You can train in both state and independent schools.
- Your placements are in the very best modern languages departments.
- We provide a unique familiarisation programme and support from the very start.
- You are part of a cohort of trainees, providing you with friendship and support.
- You are supported by a well-established Teaching School that will be with you every step of your career, and with a track record of getting trainees into employment.
- Your course is designed by current teachers, rooted in the reality of life in the classroom.